Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Did I make the right call?

Just got back from a trip to England and an interesting thing happened to me in Heathrow Airport.

I found myself standing next to someone very famous.

Now, I am not a naturally star-struck kind of person. I have rubbed shoulders with a few semi-famous folk in the past and have never been either fazed or sycophantic.

However this happened to be a person whom I hold in very high regard. I would go as far as to say that, in my opinion he is perhaps the greatest living movie actor. One of his movies is in my top 5 movies of all time and there is at least one more in the top ten. A recent movie he starred in and – I think – produced had one of the most impressive opening sequences I have seen for ages and would dearly love to know how it was shot. I am told he makes a good fist of being one of the world’s greatest living stage actors too.

So. On one hand, I had the opportunity to thank the man for the pleasure, entertainment and enlightenment he has given me over the years. To basically add my “applause” verbally and in a very direct one-to-one way. On the other hand I could respect that fact that he wasn’t working, he was making his way through a busy airport and I could respect his anonymity and not needlessly bug him.

As he turned to face me I had to make a decision quickly.

I decided to respect his personal space and only gave a friendly good-morning-like nod which he returned as his eyes met mine.

Throughout the rest of the journey I started to think I made the wrong decision. I started to regret that I hadn’t given praise where it was due.

So did I do the right thing? What do you think?

4 comments:

Nogbad The Improbable said...

You did exactly the right thing. I always get a bit p***ed off when I get one of my many adoring fans come up to me and start converstations by telling me how good I am and how I changed their life for the better. We Megastars are only human when we're not working and we need our own space and privacy just as the rest of you do.

Besides, he wouldn't have recognised you now you've lost so much weight.

Anonymous said...

well done you know you met him so wat the eck nothing to prove he is a star and you left him to his own devices memories are profound just hope we did not bug you when we stayed in pal as you are also well known all the best regards terry

Anonymous said...

Ah yes I remember Nog doing a concert in a mountain village just N>E of pal He was doing a turn called knees up Kiria Brown on the venetion blind with one hand its true i just made it up. Lefteris

Unknown said...

I think u made the right call