Thursday, December 23, 2010

Men in Dresses

If a man in your loacal neighbourhood decided to grow a beard and wear a dress every time he left the house, curtains would twitch and people would talk.

That is why I am amazed that I am the only one here who finds the sight of a Greek orthodox vicar's appearance bizarre, amusing and disturbing all at the same time.

There is a collective blindspot amongst the local population to the man who always wears a dress. Nobody comments or laughs. I really think that people do not notice. Would the same happen if I decided that from tomorrow that I would raid Jenny's wardrobe each morning? Is there some endorsement for cross-dressing I missed in my scant scripture studies at Sunday School?

I must say, however, in defence of the orthodox chappies, that it is quite far thinking of them to allow habitual dress wearers to hold meaningful office. The catholics will not allow anyone in a dress conducting their services.

1 comment:

Nogbad the Improbable said...

Townsend got there before you!
May I recommend :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arvG9lVACr0

Nogbad the Improbable