Friday, January 09, 2009

Funny thing is, when one lives in a place where one actually has to read most of the news, it can sometimes be a slight disadvantage when it comes to pronouncing new words to the English language.

I had a shock this Christmas as I had read about the new game console called the Nintendo Wii. For some reason, I naturally assumed that this was pronounced 'Wy' as in 'Why". Strange, I thought, to name a product in such a way as to almost invite 'buyer remorse'.

No! Nintendo's faux pas is much better than that as I discovered it is actually pronounced 'Wee' as in, well.....'Wee'!

The poor sales advisor in Currys must have thought me a trifle strange as I struggled, unsuccessfully to contain my fits of giggles as he kept on saying WEE as he described the games features and benefits. It's not my fault, I was brought up on Carry On films.

Did I buy one? No fear. I'm going to wait for the 'Playstation Poo'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doess this mean that the Calypso won't be offering its We Fee service any longer?

Anonymous said...

Good to know the Wee Free's are represented in such a pagan place, and it's nice to see that you are attempting to bring a touch of much needed morality to Paleochora.